To be competitive, transfer students should present an academic profile with strong grades that includes preparation for their intended major/college.
Junior transfer admission is limited to students who will have completed a minimum of 60 UC-transferable semester units by the end of spring term prior to fall admission and have a competitive GPA.
Students who have attended or currently attend a four-year university must be aware that most programs will not offer admission to students with excess units.
NOTE: If all coursework was completed at a two-year college, this excess unit policy does not apply.
There are no additional requirements for International Students.
Obtain information on non-California Community College Reading & Composition requirements Transfer Information (by Institution) page or other general education and major requirements on ASSIST. ASSIST lists Berkeley requirements and the California community college courses approved as satisfying those requirements. If you are applying from a school other than a California community college, select UC Berkeley and then any community college from the pull-down menu on ASSIST. You will then have access to Berkeley requirements; take comparable courses at your school. Please note that we cannot evaluate your courses until 1) you are admitted 2) we see your transcripts.
Advising for Prospective Transfer Students
Office of Undergraduate Admissions advising is available to prospective transfer students who would like to sit one-on-one for 15- to 20-minute advising sessions with an Admissions officer to discuss:
- UC Berkeley Admissions
- UC Application
- Personal Insight Questions
- Beginning in the month of November, Personal Insight questions will not be reviewed
Drop-in Transfer Admissions Advising Details:
- Dates and times: Advising sessions will go through November 18, 2017, held weekly on Thursdays and Fridays from 2-4 p.m. with the exception of the following dates: Thursday, November 2; Friday, November 3; and Friday, November 10.
- Location: 100 Cesar Chavez (CE3/Transfer Center)
- Drop-In: Admissions advising is available on a first-come, first-served basis up to the first 25 students that sign up
- Signing-in: The sign-in sheet for advising will be available for prospective students to complete at 1 p.m. in the Transfer Center. Transfer Center staff will not allow students who show up prior to 1 p.m. to sign up for Transfer Academic Advising.
- We will not accept student signups after 3:30 p.m. on the day of advising
Students from four-year institutions and out-of-state community colleges:
To determine which of your courses transfer to UC Berkeley, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions conducts in-person evaluation appointments Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings at 10, 10:30, and 11 a.m. from May 1 through November 1. You may set up an appointment by emailing the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of prospective applicants, we are unable to accommodate this service through mail/email/fax/phone.
If you are a prospective transfer student seeking advising on transfer admissions to UC Berkeley, please reach out to the appropriate contact:
Northern California Residents
Ricardo Avitia, Northern California Transfer Specialist
Southern California Residents
Ana Fimbres Rafferty, Southern California Transfer Specialist