The UC Berkeley Office of Undergraduate Admissions thanks you for your service to our country. As you begin to consider your educational options, we would like to give you some insight to our admissions requirements.
UC Berkeley’s admissions requirements are the same for all prospective students. Applicants have two ways of applying for admission to our campus, as a: (1) freshman applicant or (2) transfer applicant.
Q: How does my veteran status help in regards to admission?
A: We review all information, both academic and non-academic/personal, in the context of each student’s individual circumstances. To be competitive, students should present strong grades that includes preparation for their intended major/college. Your military experience is an added value when looking at the non-academic portion of the application. Make sure to articulate in your application what you’ve learned from your experience while serving our country.
It was nice to see Berkeley really cares about its veterans. I feel like I have a really big support system.
— Jaskiranjot Brar ’15, Social Welfare major and former Marine
In order to apply and be a competitive applicant, you must meet admissions requirements:
1. Prepare to apply as a freshman applicant
You are a prospective freshman applicant at Berkeley if you are currently in junior high school or high school (with or without completed college work), or graduated high school and have taken no college courses.
- Carefully review the freshman admissions web page: http://admissions.berkeley.edu/freshman
Note: If you’ve had a significant gap in education, we advise that you consider the transfer process. Most student veterans apply as transfer applicants.
2. Prepare to apply as a transfer applicant
Keep in mind that UC Berkeley receives far more applications than it can admit. Consequently, to gain admission, you need to present an academic profile much stronger than that represented by the minimum University of California admission requirements.
- Carefully review our transfer web page: http://admissions.berkeley.edu/transferrequirements
- Connect with your community college counselor.
- Become familiar with www.assist.org.
- If you are not at a California Community College - contact the admissions office.
Note: Most student veterans apply as transfer applicants.
3. Selecting a major
Choosing a major is a personal choice; you may start in one direction and end up in another.
- As a transfer applicant you should already have an idea of what you will be studying. For many of UC Berkeley’s majors you will need to prepare by completing a number of major prerequisites.
- As a freshman applicant you have the flexibility of applying undecided to some of the colleges; however if you are applying to the College of Chemistry or Environmental Design you must select a major.
- Carefully review our Majors & Minors web page:
4. STA - 21 and MECEP Applicants
Enlisted to Commissioning Officer program applicants: You must either meet UC Berkeley freshman or transfer student admission requirements. For more information contact: Esperanza Bernal, email@example.com.