Apply to Berkeley
How to Apply to UC Berkeley
Application Fees and Fee Waivers
The Admissions Process
Admission to UC Berkeley is a two-step process: satisfying requirements and selection. All achievement—both academic and nonacademic/personal—is considered in the context of your educational circumstances, with an emphasis on the opportunities or challenges presented to you and your response to them. No single attribute or characteristic guarantees the admission of any applicant to Berkeley.
All UC Berkeley applicants must meet University of California (link is external) admission requirements:
Students should refer to their transcript(s) as they fill out the application to ensure the information they enter is accurate. Applicants should not submit transcripts at this point in the process. Please do not submit supporting documentation such as awards, photographs, poetry, etc. with the application. They will not be forwarded, returned, or retained. Learn more about transcripts, exams, and documentation.
Early Action / Early Decision: Berkeley does not offer early action or early decision.
For more information on the admissions process beyond the requirements, don’t forget to review the following resources.
- Learn more about our Freshman Policy - including information on letters of recommendation
- Follow the Freshman Applicant Checklist
- Explore the First Year Pathways that you may choose from if you are admitted to Berkeley.
- If you are interested in applying to another UC, review the UC Freshman Requirements (link is external)
- Follow the Transfer Applicant Checklist
- Learn about the Transfer Resources available for prospective transfers interested in applying
- If you are considering transferring, but not attending a California Community College, review the Transfer Reading and Composition Information to ensure you have the required classes for that requirement.
- If you are interested in applying to another UC, review the UC Transfer Requirements (link is external)