Freshman Policy Changes
Related University of California Policies
This page includes Berkeley's implementation of the following UC-wide policies. Check these resources for additional updates on UC-wide policies.
Admissions Policy on Standardized Testing
Letters of Recommendation
Starting in fall 2015, some applicants to UC Berkeley are invited to submit two letters of recommendation. Submission is voluntary and not required for full consideration of the application for admission.
As of fall 2017, UC policy allows for letters of recommendation in the UC Policy for Augmented Review (link is external)(link is external).
Furthering our belief in the value of holistic review, we ask that those who write letters consider the following concepts when asked to add a letter to the application process:
- Academic performance and potential (both overall and in the context of the applicant's high school class)
- Love of learning
- Leadership (in school, family, or community)
- Persistence in the face of challenges
- Cross-cultural engagement
- Demonstrated concern for others
The deadline for letters of recommendation are due January 15th.
Last updated August 2020.